An Open Letter To Educators

This is a very interesting video, regardless of whether you agree with Mr. Brown or not. Do you agree with him or not?

Here is Mikeleh’s equally interesting response:

And Thunderf00t’s:

Personally, I think if we combined what all three of these gentlemen are saying into one complete picture we would be onto something. Facts and knowledge are not cheap and useless, and people who have them rolling around somewhere up in their heads are valuable and important, but the fact is the tree of knowledge is growing rapidly and it is impossible for most people to know all of it. So, while we should always be trying to acquire more, the Internet provides us access, among other tools such as the always valuable “book”, to other information we don’t yet possess. We can get a brief idea of this knowledge through sites like Wikipedia, or use other sources to gain a deeper understanding. The trick for educators is emphasizing to students how to access information and how to evaluate it properly. For me, some knowledge is valuable and I would like to own it in the form of a book, or a map, etc. In a case like that I will gladly purchase it, and for other information the value is less so I will be satisfied with using the Internet (which is not free because I have to buy a computer, pay for access, etc.).

I agree with Thunderf00t’s reasoning for educational institutions and their importance in knowledge transfer, but Dan also makes a point about the need for creativity and engagement. A happy medium between the two is necessary.